[packagekit] problematic ui in recent gpk-application

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 1 01:47:43 PDT 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> I opened gpk-application today, and found that it now has a menuitem
> thats called "Use category group list". I had no idea what it would
> do, and you probably realized that that is a problem, since you added
> a tooltip. It says "Use the complicated group selector".
>
> Say what ? The tooltip does not help at all to understand what this is about.
>
> And even if both the menuitem and the tooltip were perfectly clear, I
> think it is a terrible idea to offer a switch between two totally
> separate categorizations. How is a user not going to be confused by
> that ? It would be better to either have only static groups, or only
> dynamic groups. This is insane.

I think that these 2 options, should be in a preference dialog under
(Edit -> Preferences) not on the menu.
this is not options the user will switch often.
It also think that 'dynamic groups' should be default if then backend
supports it.
> I have similar thoughts about the  autocompletion checkbox next to it.
> Why is it necessary to make that tweakable ?
> Either completion is useful, in which case it should be always turned
> on, or it is confusing and too slow to be useable,
> in which case it should not be present in the ui at all.
>
> Last ui complaint, I still miss a File>Quit menuitem, which would be
> nice to have, just for making the Ctrl-Q accel work.
>
> On to the non-ui complaints...:-)
>
> I notice that gpk-application seems to be a lot less responsive than
> it used to be. E.g after expanding a comps group, It takes far too
> many seconds before clicking on one of the subgroups gives me any
> visual feedback.

I think the problem here is, then you expand a category, then the gui
starts loading the all packages view, instead of moving the focus to
the category you just expanded.

Another issues i detected was when i select "Applications -> Sound and
video" the icon column gets wider because of a large gnomebaker icon.

Tim