[packagekit] RFC - easy install/remove

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett dmacvicar at suse.de
Tue Nov 18 01:21:47 PST 2008

Peter Nash wrote:
> Duncan,
>
> So, you mean that in theory it could be done... user could have an easy way to revert the 1-click install operation?
>
> something like an 1click uninstall like mentioned in http://opensuse.awardspace.com/
>
> this would be very cool... but i'm getting the idea that PK won't make such feature available soon :(
>
> maybe this could be integrated into yast2 on OpenSuse...
>
> I really hate to have to handle all those packages... i tried to remove an application once and i may say that i see it as a very big pile of paper from which i can't read any... LOL (i'm keeping all the software i installed once, installed!!!)
>
> One week ago i contacted John Thomas (the webmaster of the link above) but he said that there is nothing currently being worked on, ATM, as far as he knows of...
>
> I really would like something like this... and if it was on PK would be just perfect... I'm thinking about giving a shot at Ubuntu (CNR)... but i don't like much of Gnome... OpenSuse would be the right choice for me... if it wasn't for this lack

Yes, I know John Thomas, he has been trying to push that as the feature
that will make Linux desktop year, thing I don't think it is true. There
are a big other problems to solve in Linux than uninstalling packages.

I don't think this is needed urgently, nor that it is a killer feature.
As richard mentioned, space is cheap. In no case I would add those trees
to the user interface for a feature one rarely needs.
Also I think John Thomas is somehow confused with the one click install,
and he thinks it needs a special handling, when either you added the
repo of the package and then you can see all packages in the repo list,
or the repo was added temporarily in that case it is listed in
unmaintaned packages.

For the dependencies, it may be useful from time to time to see which
packages could be _recommended_ (note, and read twice: _recommended_ )
for uninstallation, and I think with package history, transaction
origina plus may me atime of the files one can result in some useful
algorithms for cleanup.

Duncan