[packagekit] Features discussion/request KPackageKit

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett dmacvicar at suse.de
Thu Nov 20 04:37:53 PST 2008

Thomas Goettlicher wrote:
>> Right, this sort of heuristic belongs in the suse-specific backend. What
>> I would say is best is:
>>
>> (no update repos configured)
>>
>> C: GetUpdates()
>> S: ::Warning(NO_UPDATE_REPOS_CONFIGURED, "no update repos are
>> configured")
>> S: ::Finished(SUCCESS)
>>
>> and then you get a little notification box with the warning. This would
>> then work in KDE and GNOME, and be localised.
>>
> Yes, that sounds like a clean way.
> Besides the warning it might be useful to show a button that adds an
> appropriate update repo. A script 'pk-add-update-repo.sh' (similar to
> 'pk-upgrade-distro.sh') could do this task.

Actually, libzypp in 11.1 will ship with infrastructure to match
repositories and installed products. This is based on the new tags yum
developers will introduce after Fedora11, but we support them already in
the extensions, so the best place would be for this to be in the
backend, implement it in a package-manager/distro dependent way, and
make packagekit give the facilities for the notification warning. The
applet would recive the notification, and the applet should have
configurable what program to start to configure the repos or register to
get an update repo.

Duncan