[packagekit] Features discussion/request KPackageKit

Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett dmacvicar at suse.de
Thu Nov 20 05:33:02 PST 2008

Thomas Goettlicher wrote:
> Great! I didn't know this script.

I thought the GetDistroUpgrades method only returned the availability
information? shouldnt the front end execute the script tself?

> I agree. This popup doesn't belong into KPackagekit.

I suggest  to meet with the SUSE KDE team here (and may be coolo) and
discuss where this may go. May be in the welcoming screen (there is some
kind of widget in the first login) or some specific generic openSUSE
user notification service.

> /usr/bin/on_ac_power from the package pm-utils tells whether the system
> is on battery and getloadavg from stdlib.h tells the systemload.

Shouldn't you use  bool Solid::Battery::isPlugged() here? Also there is
Solid::PowerManagement::appShouldConserveResources() which is much more
generic. I am not sure if it includes the system load, you can find out ;-)

>>> 6. Disable Auto Suspend while Operation
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> While package installation power management auto suspend should be
>>> disabled.
>>>
>> Yup, the KDE frontend needs to call Inhibit() like the gnome one does.
>> Yell if you need a hand here.
>>
> Thanks, sounds good.

Yes, this logic was duplicate from the moment kupdateapplet moved to
PackageKit. However on KDE, you should call
Solid's method (see http://drfav.wordpress.com/2008/10/02/inhibiting/ ,
which is also exposed as dbus service:
org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement.Inhibit , but no need to do it via dbus ).

> Our package management's solver supports that, but it is a black box for
> me. Details about that topic are in Duncan's blog:
> http://duncan.mac-vicar.com/blog/archives/347

Actually that is also very package manager dependent. If you have a
package supplementing some hardware modalias, and the system provide
those, libzypp solver will automatically mark those packages as
recommended. Therefore the only trick we do, is when you call
WhatProvides with the hardware enum, we just solve and return
recommended packages. This gives the chance that some package unrelated
to the hardware is recommended, but this is not very likely to happen.

Duncan