[packagekit] PackageKit & Debian, Was: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 06:05:13 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 14:40 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > I might sound like an asshole here, but I'm not going to be bullied into
> > putting functionality in which blocks a transaction.
>
> But on the other side, we are not going to embrace a tool that does not
> have this functionality.

Sure, I'm not forcing you to. If you're just interested in replacing
synaptic then PackageKit probably isn't the framework you need. If
you're looking at the end users, and what they are trying to do with
their computer, it probably is the framework you should be using.

> So this really means that we will have to develop and maintain a fork if
> we want to integrate PackageKit in our desktop.

You're free to fork PackageKit and do whatever you want. I just think
you might have misunderestimated the amount of work this would require.