[packagekit] Packagekit information

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 6 01:27:56 PDT 2008

Adrien BUSTANY wrote:

> Tim Lauridsen a écrit :
>>
>> but it easily get to cluttered in the progress dialog, if you show to
>> much information.
> Well, we often restrict our thinking to gpk : gpk is nice for "normal
> users", ie my grand mother, but we shouldn't forget the "power users".
> Not all of them use yum/apt/whatever on the command line...
> PK is an API to expose the underlying package manager, exposing some
> data in the API doesn't mean it should be exposed in gpk.
> On the other hand, I agree on the fact that we shouldn't clutter the API
> either. But here it seems a reasonnable thing to add.
>
> Cheers
>
> Adrien

  i agree, because the gpk tools target novice users, there is no reason
to the API couldn't be extended to deliver more detailed progress
information. but for that we need an extra signal

Something like this:
ProgressDetail(num,size,eta)
num	: current;total
	current : the number of the file being downloaded
	total : the total number of files to be downloaded
size 	: current;total;all
	current : the number of KB downloaded of the current file
	total : the number of KB to be downloaded for the current file
	all : the total number of KB to be downloaded
ETA	speed;current;all
	speed	: the current dnl speed ( KiB/s)
	current : the ETA for the current download (H:M:S)
	all	: the ETA for the full download (H:M:S)

When we are doing install etc, then we only send num & maybe size.

By the way, no power user use PK ;) ;) ;)
http://www.packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html

Tim