[packagekit] using launchpad for gnome-packagekit translation?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 06:59:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 16:25 +0300, Mark Krapivner wrote:
> >IMHO getting THE (both correct and coherent) translation is more
> >important than just getting A translation.
>
> agreed, every translation's on launchpad can be edited and improved
> many times by many people.

All the translations in gnome-packagekit are done by the GNOME
translation teams. Why?

* They are the best translation teams in open source
* I trust them with security sensitive dialogs
* The teams verify each others work, and the translations are very high
quality with very few errors

I don't want to use launchpad as:

* It's not an upstream solution
* When working on gnome-power-manager none of the launchpad translations
were sent upstream, nor did they work with the GNOME translation teams
* I don't want to use bzr

The only slight sub-optimal process for me is that gnome uses svn, and I
use git, but I mostly manage to keep them in sync. When GNOME switches
to Transifex all my dreams will be answered.

I work at Red Hat, and Red Hat pays me to work on PackageKit (well, some
of my time at least) but I didn't want to host the website on their
servers even though they offered. I know it's all marketing, but being
associated with a "downstream" distro is a very bad thing for a 100%
"upstream" project like PackageKit.

Sorry to be blunt.