[packagekit] gpk_animated_icon should skip frame 0

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:27:56 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 18:14 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> While i don't think there's a specification for this, animations in
> icon themes are supposed to be two-state. The first frame defines what
> it looks like in the "stopped" state while the rest of the frames
> define the animation. This causes flickering when used with current
> gnome-icon-theme where the first frame is completely transparent (sou
> you don't get a useless icon every time an application stops

I didn't know that. Is there a clause somewhere in the icon spec? If
there isn't there needs to be, else other applications will make the
same mistake as I did.

> I think the proper fix would be to make gpk_animated_icon_update and
> gpk_animated_icon_enable_animation skip frame 0 but it would likely
> require gpk to adapt its own icons not to assume frame 0 is part of
> the animation.

Yes, I think this is the best idea. Does anyone with imagemagick skills
know how to move right an image by n pixels and fill with transparency?
I need to do this for quite a few images, and the thought of doing this
by hand in gimp scares me.

Thanks.