[packagekit] APT-RPM support

Viper550 gthompson at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 21 16:22:53 PDT 2009

Hello everyone. I've seen some pretty popular distros (well, only
PCLinuxOS, and to an extent Ark Linux), using apt-rpm as their package
manager. Both distros seem to be intended for newer users - but use
pretty sophisticated looking (Synaptic) or old and dated especially when
transitioning to KDE 4 (Kynaptic) package managers. The newer package
manager UI this uses looks pretty slick and modern, but of course they
are hindered because PackageKit does not have a backend for APT-RPM.

This may require some new coding, since the current native APT plugin
uses dpkg internally so we're gonna have to figure out how to implement
it all.

Anyone up for it?

Viper550