[packagekit] issues with packagekit

D.H. Bahr dbahr at estudiantes.uci.cu
Tue Dec 1 07:45:43 PST 2009

Hello everyone!

I am having some issues with packagekit. I downloaded the 0.5.4 version
and compiled it (btw it told me i needed cppunit and there was no
mention of it on the dependencies in the web site, but that is not the
problem). I only set the prefix in the ./configure to /usr and nothing
else. As i am working on Nova (Gentoo based) it told me that the
available backend was portage (which is fine for now, yet i have rpm
installed also... ¿should it not be able to use some other backend?)
make && make install worked smoothly, yet, when i try to run packagekitd

darion-laptop darion # packagekitd --daemonize --verbose
TI:15:40:43.271    FI:../../src/egg-debug.c    FN:egg_debug_init,314
  - Verbose debugging 1 (on console 1)PK_VERBOSE

later on i try pkcon and this is what i get
darion-laptop darion # pkcon
Failed to contact PackageKit: Launch helper exited with unknown return
code 1

is there something wrong? do i need to do something i am not doing? Is
there documentation anywhere about it?

I would like to add that we (the Nova crew) are planning our next
version (for late 2010) to use rpm and packagekit for the package
management system. These issues I describe above are related to the
study we are currently developing in that order.

Greetings,

D.H. Bahr