[packagekit] issues with packagekit

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Tue Dec 1 13:05:13 PST 2009

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:45:43 +0000, "D.H. Bahr" <dbahr at estudiantes.uci.cu>
wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I am having some issues with packagekit. I downloaded the 0.5.4 version
> and compiled it (btw it told me i needed cppunit and there was no
> mention of it on the dependencies in the web site, but that is not the
> problem). I only set the prefix in the ./configure to /usr and nothing
> else.
You should pass --enable-portage to the configure script to include the
backend.

> darion-laptop darion # packagekitd --daemonize --verbose
> TI:15:40:43.271    FI:../../src/egg-debug.c    FN:egg_debug_init,314
>   - Verbose debugging 1 (on console 1)PK_VERBOSE
Execute packagekitd --verbose --backend=portage to view the full list of
actions the daemon does.

> later on i try pkcon and this is what i get
> darion-laptop darion # pkcon
> Failed to contact PackageKit: Launch helper exited with unknown return
> code 1
Maybe because the backend was not compiled in?
I'm not a PackageKit developer, but I use PackageKit as backend for a
cross-distro software manager.
You can look at the PackageKit source code if you get strange errors. I
always found the reason for weird behaviors of PackageKit.

> I would like to add that we (the Nova crew) are planning our next
> version (for late 2010) to use rpm and packagekit for the package
> management system. These issues I describe above are related to the
> study we are currently developing in that order.
Great! Please note that PackageKit 0.5.4 is neither API nor ABI stable at
time.
Regards
  Matthias Klumpp