[packagekit] Regarding updating packages using Packagekit

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 08:09:22 PST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 20:45 +0530, Ashwini Dhiman wrote:
> > Well, this is possible in the backend, but I don't think any package
> > manager supports this parallel mode of operation. There's actually
> some
> > code in git (I forget which branch) that expands the API to cope
> with
> > multiple sub-transactions overlapping, but that branch is quite old
> now.
> > I'm not sure how much the GUI does the right thing in this case.
>
> In that case, I would like to test the feasilbilty of this being done
> for Packagekit.

Okay, in the archives we talked about doing this a few months ago, they
are probably worth reading.

The biggest change is probably the protocol change to support
simultaneous status values. I had a think on that a while a go (whilst
stuck in Poland...), and the results are in the simul branch. I've
attached the diff to master for your review. They'll need to be other
changes like StatusChanged becoming a bitfield (perhaps?) but I've not
really thought about that.

> Also, on checking out the TODO list of Pakcagekit, I thought that it
> would be an interesting thing to make service packs work correctly, as
> mentioned in the list. I would also like to work in that regard.
> So, please guide me on how to start for this.

Well, we've basically got service packs to work now, but testing and
adding unit tests is very welcome!