[packagekit] Hacking dbus signals

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:24:09 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 15:48 +0300, Friki zoid wrote:
> I wrote a not entirely correct. I understand that there not legal case
> to get url in my program. I want to wrote patch for PackegeKit, to add
> key_url as a parametr for "repo-detail" signal. I want to ask is there
> someone program-architecture trouble to do this. And I want to ask
> where is param_value formed before the function.

Whilst I agree it might be nice to get this data, you can't just pass
back a single string for the repo location. For single repos, it might
be that package A comes from one URL, and package B from another. It
might be that there's a static mirrorlist used for the URL, where a
mirror is chosen at random. It might be there's a dynamic mirrorlist
that depends on the package that's being downloaded.

You just can't encode this kind of detail in the repo-detail signal.
Passing back the URL is like passing back a FD for each file in a
directory. What purpose are you using the URL for?