[packagekit] Res: New backend

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jan 5 05:31:41 PST 2009

>I haven't investigated this problem much, but it seems that SetLocale is
>not called correctly by the dbus-backend.
well i don't know about how is the code in py but
in c++ we need to setlocale before creating the cache
map, and i need to call a different method that seems
to get the localized string.

>Do you already have got a public branch? You could upload your changes
>to a new branch in the repository before merging into master.

hmm no, i don't know how to create that, i'll try to find
out tonight.

>Do you refer to the debconf/configuration conflict handling? These are
>not problems which can be solved in the backend, but require changes in
>PackageKit's design for a proper integration. I get the feeling that
>apt doesn't fit very well in the PackageKit framework and we have to
>add a lot of workarounds.

i know it's not completely up to the backend but
i have some ideas that would be easy for me to do/test
if the backend was in c++, i'll take a look at your
dbus daemon but i don't know apt enough for that, and
that's another reason i started to write one..

it's going fast with the search stuff, i have searchName
fully working, + resolving the virtual packages which
i find very usefull, the next step will be sorting
the packages (right now without sorting the time is
half of py bkend). getDetails is complete too + localized
(apart from the license). getPackages, getGroups and filters
are working too. this week i plan to sort the output
and finish getRequired getDepends. All methods are now
threaded too.

Regards,
Daniel.

________________________________
De: Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor at ubuntu.com>
Para: PackageKit users and developers list <packagekit at lists.freedesktop.org>
Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 5 de Janeiro de 2009 9:14:02
Assunto: Re: [packagekit] New backend

Am Sonntag, den 04.01.2009, 09:23 -0800 schrieb Daniel Nicoletti:

> But the more important feature that i miss in py since i got here
> was the localization of sumaries and details done by the backend
> using the apt feature. And i'm glad to say that this is already working
> in the c++ backend.

I haven't investigated this problem much, but it seems that SetLocale is
not called correctly by the dbus-backend.

> I want to know if someone has something agains me pushing this
> to master so more people can help with testing and code the backend
> is called aptcc so it does not conflic with anything.

Do you already have got a public branch? You could upload your changes
to a new branch in the repository before merging into master.

> BTW i didn't solve the install/remove problem, but in c++ i can help
> "solving" that :D

Do you refer to the debconf/configuration conflict handling? These are
not problems which can be solved in the backend, but require changes in
PackageKit's design for a proper integration. I get the feeling that
apt doesn't fit very well in the PackageKit framework and we have to
add a lot of workarounds.

So by reusing some design aspects and code of PackageKit I wrote a basic DBus
controlled apt daemon this weekend. But I am not sure where to go.

https://launchpad.net/aptdaemon

Cheers,

Sebastian

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com