[packagekit] New backend

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 5 03:14:02 PST 2009

Am Sonntag, den 04.01.2009, 09:23 -0800 schrieb Daniel Nicoletti:

> But the more important feature that i miss in py since i got here
> was the localization of sumaries and details done by the backend
> using the apt feature. And i'm glad to say that this is already working
> in the c++ backend.

I haven't investigated this problem much, but it seems that SetLocale is
not called correctly by the dbus-backend.

> I want to know if someone has something agains me pushing this
> to master so more people can help with testing and code the backend
> is called aptcc so it does not conflic with anything.

Do you already have got a public branch? You could upload your changes
to a new branch in the repository before merging into master.

> BTW i didn't solve the install/remove problem, but in c++ i can help
> "solving" that :D

Do you refer to the debconf/configuration conflict handling? These are
not problems which can be solved in the backend, but require changes in
PackageKit's design for a proper integration. I get the feeling that
apt doesn't fit very well in the PackageKit framework and we have to
add a lot of workarounds.

So by reusing some design aspects and code of PackageKit I wrote a basic DBus
controlled apt daemon this weekend. But I am not sure where to go.

https://launchpad.net/aptdaemon

Cheers,

Sebastian