[packagekit] More groups ?

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 05:48:15 PDT 2009

Hi,

It's really difficult to choose a group for packages. In Gentoo, we
have categories and there is an equivalent between these categories
and Freedesktop menu specification. I've seen packagekit has also a
link between groups and freedesktop menu specification: groups are
somewhat freedesktop main categories.
But freedesktop specifications have alse "additional categories". What
about adding (some of) them to packagekit ? I think it will help to
have a better categorization. Actually, GNOME and KDE doesn't really
follow this specification.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html

I see two reasons against:
- these new groups will need translations
- GUI will be a bit heavy (because it can lead to dozens of groups)

The first reason is IMO not valid as it has to be done and it will be
solved (no design or long-term issue).
The second one is more complex. What I propose is as additional
categories are related to main categories, we could specify a main
category for every additional category. At this moment, it will be up
to the UI to choose between the way of showing groups : only main,
with a tree, only additional, etc.
(for example

What do you think of this idea ?

Just to be clear, it doesn't block my work on portage backend but I
feel it will be better if I can easily have access to some
applications via a group, like IM clients (InstantMessaging group).

Thanks,
Mounir