[packagekit] Werror and maintainer-mode

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 01:59:48 PDT 2009

2009/7/18 Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri at gmail.com>:
> We talked about that quickly a few weeks ago and the idea that showed up was to
> enable it with maintainer-mode enabled. Actually, maintainer-mode is not
> available in packagekit configure script (it should be removed from autogen by
> the way) and maintainer-mode shouldn't be used for that [2].

I'm still not sure why doing it with maintainer mode isn't valid, I
mean, distro packages shouldn't be calling autogen.sh, but instead
using configure. That's the whole point of maintainer mode, and option
that gets added when you call autogen but not configure.

> - automatically add -Werror when --enable-local is set.

No, enable-local means something different, it's not good to overload
logic like this.

> - add a new option --enable-strict which will enable this flag.

If it's enabled by default, then this seems acceptable, but otherwise
I think we should be using maintainer mode. It's what it's for, and
what other packages seem to use.