[packagekit] Werror and maintainer-mode

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 03:37:04 PDT 2009

Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/7/18 Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri at gmail.com>:
>> We talked about that quickly a few weeks ago and the idea that showed up was to
>> enable it with maintainer-mode enabled. Actually, maintainer-mode is not
>> available in packagekit configure script (it should be removed from autogen by
>> the way) and maintainer-mode shouldn't be used for that [2].
>
> I'm still not sure why doing it with maintainer mode isn't valid, I
> mean, distro packages shouldn't be calling autogen.sh, but instead
> using configure. That's the whole point of maintainer mode, and option
> that gets added when you call autogen but not configure.

There are two issues here:
- maintainer-mode is not available in the packagekit configure script at the
moment. I suppose it has been removed recently.
- maintainer-mode is about automatically calling autotools when calling make if
autotool files aren't up-to-date. Using this option for something else will lead
to confusion. In addition of Diego's blog entry, you can read [1].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/automake/maintainer_002dmode.html

>> - automatically add -Werror when --enable-local is set.
>
> No, enable-local means something different, it's not good to overload
> logic like this.
>
>> - add a new option --enable-strict which will enable this flag.
>
> If it's enabled by default, then this seems acceptable, but otherwise
> I think we should be using maintainer mode. It's what it's for, and
> what other packages seem to use.

As you said for local, we shouldn't overload logic.
So, I've attached a patch with an enabled by default strict option.

Thanks,
Mounir