[packagekit] remove-packages and allow_deps / autoremove

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 00:37:28 PDT 2009

2009/7/20 Mounir Lamouri <mounir.lamouri at gmail.com>:
> If I understand it correctly:
> allow_deps=True means backend should remove packages that depends on removed
> ones. Like foo needs bar, if I remove bar, foo is removed. And with
> allow_deps=False, such a situation should leads to an error ?

Correct.

> autoremove=True means if foo needs bar and I remove foo, bar is removed.
> About this one, I'm sure I will not be able to implement it because it's unsafe
> to remove libs in portage except if you know what you are doing (for some
> reasons you probably don't want to know about). So, I was thinking about a
> message telling autoremove=True has been ignored (better than an error in my
> opinion).

Yes, I ignore autoremove in the yum backend only. I think it's only
really useful on embedded systems where space is at a premium.

> By the way, when these options are enabled ?

We only enable allow_deps TRUE after we've done a GetRequires, and the
user has confirmed the other packages being removed. I don't think any
of the GNOME frontend tools enable autoremove at all.

> By the way (two), autoremove isn't in remove_packages python script. I will add
> it with MESSAGE_AUTOREMOVE_IGNORED message if you see no objection.

Sure, that sounds sensible.