[packagekit] remove-packages and allow_deps / autoremove

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jul 20 15:04:14 PDT 2009

>autoremove=True means if foo needs bar and I remove foo, bar is removed.
>About this one, I'm sure I will not be able to implement it because it's unsafe
>to remove libs in portage except if you know what you are doing (for some
>reasons you probably don't want to know about). So, I was thinking about a
>message telling autoremove=True has been ignored (better than an error in my
>opinion).

yep, bar is removed, but you should only remove bar if no other package depends
on that.
I don't think issuing a message is important since imo this is a distro behavior.

For example we have a config in Debian that set's autoremoves, and it will really
upset a user to see that message every time.

In Debian that's always used when using aptitude, since it's a waste of disk keep
unused packages there. Also the more packages the more security problems you
may have, that's why that's the default behavior.

Cheers,
Daniel.