[packagekit] Service Packs

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 00:40:36 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:11 AM, Daniel Nicoletti
<dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> I was looking at the service pack code, and seems
> like it's something that was implemented at the lib side
> which means packagekit-qt would have to do the same thing
> am i right? If so shouldn't we move this to be accessible through
> DBus?

Yes, the service pack creation is done client side. I didn't want to
add complexity to the daemon for something that is essentially
value-add functionality. It's also likely in KDE you don't want to use
libarchive, but some KDE specific library for creating the tarball.

> The list of things todo in KPackageKit is pretty short but
> i'd really have this ui before the next release.. :D

Cool.

> BTW, imo this ui needs some real love, it's dam confusing
> and some options are not clear to me what's for, like
> why would i need a list of installed packages?

Well, the help button should give you the needed explanation. It
basically comes down to the fact that the "destination" will have
different packages installed to the "source".

> And what should i do when i create a service pack?
> Ok, i have a *.servicepack now what? Which gpk-*
> can install it?

gpk-install-local-file - it's treated like a normal package file that
can be installed. If the backend supports unpacking a service pack
then the application/x-servicepack mime-type is exposed in
get_mime_types [1].

> Is the cmd line options useful for anything?

Try "man pkgenpack"

> Please don't take this as an attack but i'm really wondering these
> questions myself, i guess there are other wondering the same.

Richard.

[1] Which the yum backend forgot to do until you reminded me.