[packagekit] Cross-distro package mapping and matching?

Sebastian Heinlein liste at glatzor.de
Sun Jun 7 01:23:44 PDT 2009

Am Sonntag, den 07.06.2009, 03:44 +0200 schrieb Sebastian Pipping:

> Git is "dev-util/git" in Gentoo but "git-core" in Debian.
> Is there any project/library/tool that does package name mapping?
> Is such a service part of or planned for PackageKit?

A short summary:

There was some discussion about it: Our main use case would have been
the installation/removal of extras or plugins by upstream software, e.g.
Epiphany installing an extension.

It was decided that it is not worth the effort. The mapping of
software/packages should be done decentralized by the package
maintainers of the corresponding distribution. In the above use case
this would mean to patch the names of the to be installed packages in
the epiphany package by the maintainer.

The main problem was the unique identifier of software - without
introducing an additional catalog, which would have implied a large
maintenance burden. The best suggestion so far was using the homepage
address.

But we haven't been aware of CPE.

Cheers,

Sebastian
--
Please don't respond to this e-mail address privately. It is only used