[packagekit] Cross-distro package mapping and matching?

Sebastian Pipping webmaster at hartwork.org
Sun Jun 7 08:50:32 PDT 2009

Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> The main problem was the unique identifier of software - without
> introducing an additional catalog, which would have implied a large
> maintenance burden. The best suggestion so far was using the homepage
> address.
>
> But we haven't been aware of CPE.

Neith was I until yesterday. :-)  CPE in a way is using the homepage
address.  The verdor field ..

  "should be the highest organization-specific label
  of the organization's DNS name."

That could even work for projects on hosting sites like
SourceForge (if we widen the idea of vendor a bit).
A project hosted at

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/${PN}

would have

  cpe:/a:sourceforge:${PN}

as a CPE URI (provided that ${PN} is an application needs
no further escaping).

Sebastian