[packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"

Robert Buchholz rbu at gentoo.org
Mon Jun 15 11:24:49 PDT 2009

On Monday 15 June 2009, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> However there are a few more things to take into account,
> please have a look at my reply to Paul:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/popcon-developers/2009-June/
>001759.html
>
> Sorry for not CC'ing you, I should have though of that.
>
> Thinking the other way around:  Is there anything we could do
> to make the central place approach work and feel better for
> everybody?

The consumers of the PackageMap will always only use the central
database. It is only the populators of the database that would be
distributed.

I am convinced the project will be more viable if people can choose
their level of contribution. Many developers just won't care enough to
take the extra hassle. If you make it easy enough for them to
contribute to the CPE mapping, i.e. update their debian/controls or
metadata.xml, they will (or not :-). Other developers that care more
can then extract the data and merge it at the database and do extra
maintenance tasks such as updating the substition map.

If you make merging easy, I don't see how this hurts the project.

Robert