[packagekit] [gentoo-dev] Inviting you to project "PackageMap"

Sebastian Pipping webmaster at hartwork.org
Mon Jun 15 12:13:27 PDT 2009

Robert Buchholz wrote:
> The consumers of the PackageMap will always only use the central
> database.

I'm not sure about that.  I rather assume it will happen.
Especially use ignoring the substitution map.

> I am convinced the project will be more viable if people can choose
> their level of contribution. Many developers just won't care enough to
> take the extra hassle.

Agreed.  However, I don't see a huge difference in level of
extra hassle.  The most difficult thing is doing who's-the-vendor
research in my eyes atm which is the same at both ends.
Maybe collaborating at a central place can add some fun that
adding "some field I don't really care about" downstream cannot.

Btw on Gentoo putting it in metadata.xml might be adding to the risk
of a checksum mismatch, at least for extra edits.  No idea if
QA tools will catch 90% of that happening.

> If you make merging easy, I don't see how this hurts the project.

I don't see how easy merging compensates for the issues I brought up.

Can I have a few more voices on this?:  Would you clearly feel more
comfortable and motivated to contribute to PackageMap if it works
at your distro's source package?

Sebastian