[packagekit] search-file pattern search

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 04:54:56 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Richard Hughes<hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Mounir
> Lamouri<mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now, according to yum backend and specifications, key represents the
>> entire path. So, if I want to search which package own myfile.foo i
>> will have to enter /bar/myfile.foo. A bit hard as I only want to
>> search for a file, not a path. We have room to put a lot of results so
>> even if the file is present in various packages, it will not be so
>> hard to see which one was the good candidate.
>
> Hmm. I originally specified the original path for speed -- most of the
> consumers of this api just want to know "what package owns this file"
> rather than "find the package that contains this filename".
Is it used for something else than the search field ? I mean something
more complex ?
If it's only for that, probably user would like to wait a few seconds
more if it's for is own sack.

> If you want to support the latter in your backend, then I urge you to
> also support the absolute path variant (starting with slash), else
> some of the GUI tools are going to get very confused. If we add this
> as a spec extension, it's important to add this to the spec xml
> documentation so other backends can all do the same thing.
I will support both method in my backend for two reasons. I think it's
better for user and command-lined tool to do the same thing in Gentoo
(qfile) works the same. That was probably why I was confused with yum
behaviour.

I'm ok to update the specification if my proposition is accepted.

Thanks,
Mounir