[packagekit] search-file pattern search

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 06:14:08 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Mounir
Lamouri<mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it used for something else than the search field ? I mean something
> more complex ?
> If it's only for that, probably user would like to wait a few seconds
> more if it's for is own sack.

Well, most of the time the "user" won't be using this method at all,
and it has to be quick. For example:

In Fedora type gedit without gedit installed -- bash checks for this
and can't find it, and a program hooks into PK, and asks if there is a
remote program available that supplies /usr/bin/gedit (and other
paths). Then the program asks the user if it should be installed. This
all has to happen in less than a second. For this reason I think it's
best to specify that a leading slash is a fully specified search, and
not for other packages. We don't want to ask to install figedit that
just happens to install the file /usr/share/icons/figedit.png

On the whole, don't worry about users "using" PackageKit. If we're
forcing a user to open a terminal and type "pkcon install foo" then
we've failed. All of this stuff has to "just work" using GUI helpers
and programs installing stuff themselves, rather than telling the user
to install stuff.

> I will support both method in my backend for two reasons. I think it's
> better for user and command-lined tool to do the same thing in Gentoo
> (qfile) works the same. That was probably why I was confused with yum
> behaviour.
> I'm ok to update the specification if my proposition is accepted.

Sounds good to me. I think it needs to be specified as "if the path is
proceeded by a slash, then the search MUST be treated as an absolute
path and not just do a wildcard search". Or something like that. My
grammar has always been bad... :-)

Anyway, rock on.