[packagekit] search terms should be "one word" ?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 07:22:33 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Mounir
Lamouri<mounir.lamouri at gmail.com> wrote:
> According to specifications [1], search terms are "one word" but if
> you search two words is gnome-packagekit you have results for word1
> _and_ results for word2.

I've written about this before (in the archives) and I think now is
the time to come to some sort of consensus.

> My opinion is search-name should not accept two words because a name
> is quite simple and not complex enough to do a multiple search and
> search-details should accept multiple words search but should do a
> reunion of the results. For example, when searching "game server" in
> search-details it should return results which returs something for
> games AND server not for both.

This sounds sane, although I think it might be better if we said:

SearchDetails: no spaces allowed, and error returned by server if done so
SearchName: spaces allowed, but both have to be found in same section
SearchName: spaces allowed, but not have to be found in the name

So, if I search-name for "gnome power" that should match
gnome-power-manager, but not gnomesword or powertop.

Any by detail, I mean that if we are searching the file list, summary
and description, then we only return results when both words are in
the same section, e.g. the summary line.

I think that covers all other use cases -- an OR search can be done by
just joining the results of two searches. I don't think we need to
vote on this, but if you agree, a simple +1 might be nice.