[packagekit] A new update viewer

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 06:49:17 PST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 09:22 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 27.02.2009, 18:29 +0100 schrieb Adrien Bustany:
> > Very nice, just a small remark : to my eyes, the "system restart
> > required" pixmap is a bit misleading, one could think it would prevent
> > the update from being installed...
>
> The user interface is quite busy and a lot of widgets pop up and
> disappear. You should try to use a screen reader and most likely you
> will get a bad result by using this approach.

Sure, this is worst case scenario just to test all the functionality.

> You should not put the close and install button next to each other. The
> first one affects the whole application and the other one only the
> updates. The buttons should be next to the modifying object.

I've hidden the close button, unless there are no updates to install.

> I would propose to look at update-manager of Ubuntu/Debian since we
> already invested usability work.

Yes, I've been modifying my work copying some of the features. The
explanation header and the distro upgrades section is a good idea, and
so I've "borrowed" that.

New screenshot attached. Comments welcome. I'm going to start merging
bits of this into master, but with a new executable name
gpk-update-viewer2. When we're all happy with the way it works we'll
remove the old one.

Thanks,

Richard