[packagekit] A new update viewer

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Mon Mar 2 07:43:35 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 14:49 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> New screenshot attached. Comments welcome. I'm going to start merging
> bits of this into master, but with a new executable name
> gpk-update-viewer2. When we're all happy with the way it works we'll
> remove the old one.

Hi Richard,

What are the icons in the left-most column? My best guess is that this
is "reboot required" and "session restart required", but I feel that
they are too difficult to express as icons, and perhaps not important
enough to be given that positioning.

If that information was moved to be a general thing, "Installing these
updates would require a reboot" it would give you the information you
would generally be interested in, without the clutter, but it would
make it harder to know what to hold at the current version to avoid
that if you need to. Would the message listing which updates were
causing it to be shows be good?

On a similar note, does there need to be an icon for each package
explaining what stage that update is at? It seems to me that just
having the progress bar would be good enough. I assume the progress
is per-stage though. While the icon suggests that there are multiple
stages to go through, it doesn't give a clue as to how many stages there
are going to be, so it doesn't give much benefit in that respect.

What is under the "More details" drop-down?

Thanks,

James