[packagekit] Releases pre-anouncements

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 03:52:36 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 20:50 -0100, Antonio Lima wrote:
> I'm a member of the Portuguese GNOME Translation Team and I've
> translated gnome-packagekit to Portuguese (PT). I will do my best to
> maintain the translation 100% done for releases.

Excellent, thanks! If there's ever any bad strings, yell and we'll do
our best to either add a comment, or fix them up.

> So I would like to now if there is usually some kind of pre-release
> announcement so translators now when it's time to complete the
> translation.

Well, if you look at http://www.packagekit.org/pk-download.html you'll
see releases are normally pretty frequent, normally once ever two to
three weeks. I'll probably be reducing that soon, as the quantity of
code going into PackageKit is reducing, and the daemon is becoming more
stable in general. I normally break the release schedule frequency if
there are a load of important updates, or a new feature I want to get
distros testing.

With that in mind, how about we propose a new release schedule of the
first Monday in the month? I think this gives the translators enough
time to work their magic, and also will get us in to a more stable
release cycle. I'm also thinking of migrating gnome-packagekit to gnome
release numbering, and switching the gnome-packagekit project to stick
to the GNOME feature, translation and code freezes.

Comments?