[packagekit] Res: One click install support in PackageKit

Benji Weber benji at opensuse.org
Mon Mar 30 02:23:59 PDT 2009

2009/3/29 Debayan Banerjee <debayanin at gmail.com>:
> I read up on the links posted on this thread. I understand that that
> the main problems are:
>
> 1) There is no way to trust third party software repositories.
> 2) Distributions like Fedora and Debian will never include non-free
> repository information such as GPG keys for non-free repositories.

I think the policy of what to allow to install will not be agreed
across all distributions, at least not in the immediate future.

So instead of discussing a policy that will never get unanimous
approval I suggest simply making the install policy pluggable, and
allow the distribution to choose the policy.

Some example policies would be

* Only allow packages in the distribution itself
* Only allow packages that are whitelisted or in whitelisted repository
* Allow installation of anything that is not on a blacklist
* Allow installation of anything

--
Benjamin Weber