[packagekit] Res: One click install support in PackageKit

Thibauld Favre thibauld at allmyapps.com
Mon Mar 30 07:56:28 PDT 2009

2009/3/30 Benji Weber <benji at opensuse.org>:
> I think the policy of what to allow to install will not be agreed
> across all distributions, at least not in the immediate future.
>
> So instead of discussing a policy that will never get unanimous
> approval I suggest simply making the install policy pluggable, and
> allow the distribution to choose the policy.

I agree with Benjamin here. As a first step, I would personally
concentrate on implementing a packagekit based one-click-install
mechanism which would only ask the underlying package manager to
install package X,Y and Z without taking care of the repository issue.
It means that, by default (i.e. the user did not add any repository),
it would be secure as the packages would be installed from the
official repositories. Having this cross-distro 1 click install
feature would already be a huge step forward imho.

This way, we could go forward and address the repository issue later.
Concerning the repository issue, I think Benjamin proposal of a
pluggable policy makes sense as it offers the flexibility needed for
distribution adoption.

I'm personally interested in helping you achieve this as it is
currently an issue we want to address for our website (
http://www.allmyapps.com ). Indeed, so far, we're only Ubuntu / Debian
compatible as we rely on apt-url to perform 1 click installation. Even
if I would like to help improve apt-url, I thought it would make more
sense to help a cross-distro solution achieve this functionality. Our
objective being that allmyapps be usable from any packagekit
compatible distribution.

--
Thibauld Favre