[packagekit] reverted unicode patch

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 16 08:53:06 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 08:08:15PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've had to revert this commit just now:
>
> commit e39cb1df0d1d5c0acd3b6251020104dcc5842480
> Author: Sebastian Heinlein <devel at glatzor.de>
> Date:   Wed Nov 4 10:49:51 2009 +0100
>
>     Python Backend: Consider the stdin/stdout encoding converting the
>     arguments to unicode
>
> I bisected the yumBackend.py failure to this commit. Before the commit:
>
> sudo ./yumBackend.py get-details
> "gnome-python2-gtkspell;2.25.3-13.fc12.3;i686;updates"
> details	gnome-python2-gtkspell;2.25.3-13.fc12.3;i686;updates	GPLv2+
> and LGPLv2+	other	This module contains a wrapper that allows the use
> of gtkspell via Python.	http://www.pygtk.org/	21368
>
> after the commit:
>
> sudo ./yumBackend.py get-details
> "gnome-python2-gtkspell;2.25.3-13.fc12.3;i686;updates"
> message	could-not-find-package	Package
> gnome-python2-gtkspell-2.25.3-13.fc12.3(i686)updates was not found
>
> This must be causing some sort of issue in yum -- although I'm pretty
> sure yum is unicode aware (or it might be yum is broken). Either way
> we can't accept a commit that breaks backends in obscure ways -- I've
> got no idea if this commit might break the PiSi backend for instance.

My main focus is currently to get an unit test for the apt backend.
Perhaps we could find a unified infrastructure for all the spawned
backends.

I asked some months ago for testing the patch on the list.

> Sebastian, if we can fix this up so that yumBackend.py works then we
> can revert-the-revert, if you see what I mean. I understand the
> problem you are trying to solve, but I think the patch needs more work
> first.

By reverting you broke the apt backend, but I will try to work around
it again in the next days and maintain the patch in the Ubuntu
packages as already done with the 0.4.x series.

Cheers,
Sebastian