[packagekit] gpk-install-mime-type - order of items listed ?

Sebastian Heinlein sebi at glatzor.de
Fri Apr 9 23:44:35 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:49:46AM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 7 April 2010 00:35, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > And any specific package might still end up being the first in the list ! I
> > agree with the potential of the political statement.
>
> Sure. I'm willing to choose a default, as long as it's not hardcoded
> in the daemon and all processed by the frontends.
> [...]
> Sure, and if an app (e.g. GIMP) is installed by default, then it is
> never "downloaded" by end users and therefor "unpopular".

Hello,

In Ubuntu's gnome-app-install we used the popularity contest data - popcon.
This is a ratio of how often the package was installed and actually used.
http://popcon.debian.org

We made good experiences with this.

In the future Ubuntu will allow to rate software by the users and even fetch
this new meta data from repositories.

AFAIK only Debian and Ubuntu collect this data currently. I don't
think there will be a common system for this ever - corresponding to the
uid for software/packages. So it seems to be the job of the backend to
sort the list or to provide an additional piece of information (e.g.
relevance) for searches.

Cheers,

Sebastian