[packagekit] gpk-application 2.28.0 on Ubuntu 9.10 amd64

Daniel Hernandez Bahr dbahr at estudiantes.uci.cu
Wed Apr 7 10:43:30 PDT 2010

Hello, everyone!

I just installed packagekit-gnome on my laptop (ubuntu-9.10-amd64 as
specified in subject) and i am getting some (i think) wierd behaviour
(off course it could also mean that i am not familiar at all with how to
use it).

the first thing I noticed is that the lateral view where (i expected to
see software categories -Development, Accessories and such) there is
only a "All packages" entry.
other thing is that in the Software Sources dialog there is no entry at
all (i am aware that the policy is not to let modify sources here, but i
hoped i could see them at least).

Well, anyway i intended to remove Synaptic so i searched for it (and
found it) and mark it for removal; clicked the Apply button and the
bottom right corner of the main window and a dialog showed up, telling
me that there where 9 packages that would be removed as they depended on
Synaptic. I could not select any of them (to get some info or anything)
and a should click either a "Cancel" button or a "Remove" button. I
proceeded to "Remove" and the dialgo dissapeared but nothing else happened.

¿Is there something i should have done and didn't?

I closed the gpk-application window and restarted it and my cpu ussage
raised to (nearly) 100%.. is this normal?

Best regards,

D.H. Bahr