[packagekit] What is PackageKit? A general package management suite? - Take 2

Sebastian Heinlein glatzor at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 8 08:41:03 PST 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:54:29PM -0500, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> > In fact im pretty
> > sure Kubuntu dropped Adept for Kpackagekit.
> Do you just mean that Kubuntu dropped Adept and added KPackageKit, or do you also mean the reason Adept was dropped was PackageKit's introduction? If the latter, I would be interested in reading about that decision.

As far as I can remember the decision at the Ubuntu developer summit was
a balanced one. It was clear that the development process of adept was
in a difficult state at this time. So the evaluation was if
(K)PackageKit could provide a package management interface that would
satisfy the needs of Kubuntu.

See, https://wiki.kubuntu.org/DesktopTeam/Specs/PackageKit

If you want to provide an advanced package management tool I would
recommend to only use PackageKit for the parts which require root
privileges. You will need to access a lot of - perhaps even Debian
specific - information in a short time.

Take a look at e.g. software-center which makes heavy use of
apt-xapian-index (a full text search database on top of apt's package
cache). As a side note software-center uses aptdaemon instead of
PackageKit for the root parts.

Cheers,

Sebastian