[packagekit] PackageKit App-Install

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Thu May 20 11:32:12 PDT 2010

Hello!
I'm following the PackageKit project since the first drafts (2008, I think)
and believe it is one of the most important projects for the Linux desktop
at time. I recently ported my universal application manager and software
installer completely to PackageKit. One of my last projects was the trial
to write a replacement for the Ubuntu Software Center for KDE, based on
PackageKit. (I'm completely new to Qt4 programming with C++, but I got the
most important parts working) Last week I found Richard's project
"AppInstall" at Github [1]. Someone mentioned it in the IRC channel while
talking about the UDS-M.
This project looks very promising - and it makes the Software Center
replacement obsolete if it was integrated into KPackageKit. It also covers
a few features of my universal application installer. Now I wanted to ask:
How's the current state of the project? Will it be integrated into
PackageKit or moved into a separate module? And is there a way to help
developing this project? I would be really interested in this although I'm
not really the greatest C developer. (Only used it on Windows a few
times...)
If theres something I could do... Another question: Will AppInstall be able
to load the existing data of Debian app-install? (I think not, because
Debian uses a Xapian database and the specs suggest a SQLite db.)
Thanks for your reply!
Kind regards
   Matthias Klumpp

P.S: I hope the PackageKit list is the right one for questions about
AppInstall :-P