[packagekit] PackageKit App-Install

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:57:50 PDT 2010

On 20 May 2010 19:32, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at nlinux.org> wrote:
> One of my last projects was the trial
> to write a replacement for the Ubuntu Software Center for KDE, based on
> PackageKit.

Cool!

> How's the current state of the project? Will it be integrated into
> PackageKit or moved into a separate module? And is there a way to help
> developing this project?

It's related to PackageKit, but should not be integrated. PackageKit
is concerned with packages, not applications, as there's a 1:n
relationship between the two. That said, the problem domains overlap,
so it makes sense for the two to be linked.

> Will AppInstall be able to load the existing data of Debian app-install?

Sure. The idea is to ship the app-install data instead of the older
format data, and to generate the data for more distros (like fedora).
I'm going to be pushing app-install hard for F14, and do some kind of
app-install type thing in GNOME.