[packagekit] Feeding messages to user while installing packages

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 03:26:26 PST 2011

On 4 February 2011 10:59, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay at sabayon.org> wrote:
> That's probably the reason why PackageKit doesn't support it.
> Looks like the motto is "As long as it works for Fedora, it's all good
> and other scenarios are not considered". If a project is advertised as
> distro-independent, it should at least give distributors some
> flexibility to implement features as their users expect :-(

No, that's not the case at all, and I'm actually quite insulted by
that statement given the amount of time and energy I've spent on
PackageKit, when a feature comparable Fedora-specific hack would have
taken 1% of the time.

PackageKit is *not* designed for all users. PackageKit is designed for
these people: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-profiles.html

This may not be you. They may not be the focus for the distribution
you use, but they are the focus for the PackageKit project. No one
tool or framework can be suitable for all of the inexperienced, expert
and programmer use cases.

Does this mean I think PackageKit is unsuitable for Gentoo? No, not at all.

Do I think PackageKit as a project needs to be changed to be useful
for the typical Gentoo user? No, sorry.