[packagekit] Lubuntu Integration

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Mon Jul 25 10:02:32 PDT 2011

Hi!

> It's a shame all of this history with the PPAs, but it's necessary... i
> hope
> your new system will work soon!
I think with the end of this year I'll have something stable & working.
But it will take some more time for people to adapt it. (This is the
critical think, because there is a chance some important people won't like
it :P)

> About the Lubuntu integration itself, adding "software-properties-gtk"
> gnome-packagekit could make some parts of the actual app obsolete:
> - i have some entries in my panel such as "Mise a jour des logiciels"
> (sorry, can't find the right translation) where we can set how often
> packagekit search actualizations, actualize the system, etc this is
> set by "software-properties-gtk",
> so including this will make that part obsolete (but everything will be
> unified).
> - there's "software sources" too, where we can see the PPAs set for the
> system and we can enable/disable them. This is also included on
> "software-properties-gtk"
I already prepared a plan to split out some GNOME-PackageKit components to
extra packages. If I do that, you would be free to select which parts of
GPK should be installed.
I don't know which toolkit you use at time in Lubuntu - but
GNOME-PackageKit is a GTK+3 application, so if the desktop is GTK+2-only at
time, this might be a problem. (Just as info, but I guess you already
considered this :) )

> IMHO it would be great to use this piece already existing to improve
> gnome-packagekit since it would add some features and could unify the
> program. Great idea Matthias!
Using software-propertes-gtk is in fact a bad solution, but it's a good
workaround until PackageKit has the missing functionality implemented.

> I really hope all of this will work :)
I think it will work... You can catch me on #PackageKit (Freenode) if you
have some more questions.

> PS: Matthias: i've searched to change the server everywere on
> gnome-packagekit and i didn't find it :(
This functionality does not exist at tine :P

Cheers,
   Matthias