[packagekit] Backend PPL Installing untrusted packages

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Mon May 16 11:30:50 PDT 2011

Hi,
the way we deal with untrusted packages today is
a bit too simple for an user.
We simply try to install, then the installation fails
with some UNTRUSTED enum error, and then we present
a useless dialog to the user telling there are _some_ untrusted
packages to be installed.

The problem here is that the user has no idea of which packages
are untrusted, and he has no means (other than trying a distro specific,
cmd line tool to tell him) to know it.

My suggestion to this problem is pertty simple but maybe you might have
a better Idea.
When we simulate the instalation/upgrade... we (backend) will emit
all the packages to install/remove/upgrade and re-emit the packages
that are untrusted with this info enum
PK_INFO_ENUM_UNTRUSTED so that we can present the user
which package are going to be installed/removed/upgraded, and
then which of these comes from an UNTRUSTED source.

Richard suggested that the info field had more possibilities, like
available, untrusted, security. But imho this will lead to adding
too much data when there is only a simple use case.

If you have a different idea or agrees with this...
Comments welcome :P

Best,