[packagekit] Store

Gareth Foster earthwormgaz at gmail.com
Wed May 18 01:02:43 PDT 2011

Hi,

Maybe I should be doing this through Bugzilla, but anyway, about PackageKit.

It'd be nice if the GUI could be a little more friendly.

Firstly, why do I always see x86_64 and x86 versions of everything on
Fedora? Say if I searched for the NVIDIA drivers, I'd see a confusing list
of packages, and every one of them twice.

Following on from that, wouldn't it be nice to have this list simplified?
Really, I need to see 2 items, NVIDIA akmod, and NVIDIA kmod, sort of
bundles of other RPMs that are shown as one in PackageKit. Is that sort of
thing possible?

Also, it'd be much better to see icons for these installable items. Things
like system libraries I think, ought to be hidden for the basic use case,
with an option somewhere to show them. Most of the time, the user just wants
to see a list of Apps (there, I said it).

While we're at it, what about star ratings for said apps?

Also, I always thought it'd be nice if web sites could host a simple file,
say we're talking XChat. The XChat web site can have an "Install now with
PackageKit" icon, that links to a simple file that will be launched in
PackageKit and tell it anything it needs to install XChat on any distro. The
icon could be a stock thing for any web site to use, with Gnome 3.0 and
PackageKit type branding.

One last point, is there anything that could be done to encourage
(admittedly closed source) game developers to Linux through PackageKit? Much
like Steam and the respective App Stores have done for Apple and Android.

I hope these ideas and thoughts are useful anyway. Thanks for a great piece
of software!

Ta,

Gaz