[packagekit] Software Sources / Channels and PackageKit

Matthias Klumpp matthias at nlinux.org
Tue May 24 12:22:18 PDT 2011

On Tue, 24 May 2011 22:12:30 +0300, Alex Eftimie <alex at rosedu.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since this is my first post on this list, I am a GSoC student working
> on PK backend for Ubuntu Software Center.
Hi :)

> I don't know if this has been discussed before, but what is PK's
> position regarding package repositories? For what I see, currently,
> channel management is left to the distro.
>
> Is it a good idea to have software channel management included in
> PackageKit? Backends should provide the specific way of adding and
> removing such sources.
>
> What do you think?
I think you should talk to Daniel Nicoletti (dantti) about this, cause he
is AFAIK trying to implement this in Apper (KDE PackageKit frontend).
The software channel is part of the package-id, so filtering applications
by channel should be possible, but I think there are some problems left...
(I'm not really an expert on this, Richard and Daniel know more)
In my opinion this is a very nice feature if users use 3rd-party software
sources.
Cheers,
  Matthias

P.S: You might want to join #packagekit on Freenode :)