[packagekit] Holding packages

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-pk at yahoo.com.br
Thu May 26 06:01:46 PDT 2011

In APT,
we have a hold feature that allow us to prevent especific
packages into our system.

Use cases:
* Some users find that very usefull as sometimes you know
the newer package is broken.
* Others just want to avoid an update to newer Firefox cause
last update was traumatic.
* maybe the update is too big now that let update the rest but not
this package.

Simply uncheck the update to be updated might not be enough
as some other update might require it to be installed.
AFAIK zypp also has this feature.

My proposal to the API is a new method HoldPackages(as pkg_ids, bool hold)
the latter allows the package to be UNHOLD.
Then when we do GetUpdates packages with INFO_HOLD will be emited
so that the user knows that to update it he first has to UNHOLD it.

Is that usefull for any other backend?
Is the API proposal reasonable?

Thanks,