[packagekit] Required reboot/logout (yum)

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 08:38:36 PDT 2012

On 26 April 2012 19:18, Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni at sysdroid.com> wrote:
>  In version 0.5.8 (which ships in RHEL6), I came across code in
> pk-transaction-extra.c which deals with this situation
> (pk_transaction_extra_files_check_library_restart_cb).

Yes, it uses lsof to work out if any executable is running that
depends on the old version of a library. This produces a RebootRequred
of type session if the program is running unprivileged or a system
restart if running as < UID_MIN.

>  It seems in recent versions it relies on the Yum backend to check the repo
> metadata regarding if the package requires a reboot/logout or not
> (yumBackend.py  -- _check_for_reboot).

Yup, this is like a hardcoded RebootRequred(system) and is basically
"or"d with the above path.

>  I'm a newbie and would like to validate if I'm on the right path here.

Sounds like you know what you're doing :)