[packagekit] PackageKit Proposal: Session Interface

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 10:52:27 PDT 2012

2012/6/1 Sebastian Heinlein <glatzor at ubuntu.com>:
> Am Freitag, den 01.06.2012, 12:23 -0300 schrieb Daniel Nicoletti:
>> 2012/6/1 Sebastian Heinlein <devel at glatzor.de>:
>
> Hello Dantti,
Hi

>> > I am not afraid of keeping a second copy of the cache open in the
>> > session bus. This is already done by QApt or software-center. I am more
>> > afraid of keeping a second sqlite cache inside packagekit. PackageKit
>> > should stay a thin layer.
>> Why do we need another sqlite cache? (that's not what I'm proposing)
>
> I was referring to the GetDetails cache patch of Matthias.
His patch would be obsoleted by this afaik, and even if not,
his db will only run when refresh-cache is run meaning we
will only have one db since that methods still needs the
daemon bus. So no extra sqlite besides what we have now.

>> > Which package managers could support having the cache opened twice? Does
>> > any backend require root privileges to access the cache?
>> All of them? can't you yum search, zypper search, apt-get search... as user?
>
> I am familiar with apt and to some extend with yum but I don't have got
> any experiences with package managers of other distros.
Well all cmd line tools I've used are fine with querying the db as user.
(all of the above included)

> Could app-per-user systems be also worth considering e.g. 0install?
Hmm sorry don't know what do you mean by this, zero install afaik
only have to add a new repo, refresh the cache, and install the package.
Which isn't supported by PackageKit and my proposal don't intend to
do so.

Best,
Daniel.