[packagekit] I've broken all your nice backend code...

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Jun 6 11:45:17 PDT 2012

Richard Hughes wrote:

>> Updated the API ("PORTING"), but it seems like there is more to be done:
>> (pkcon:31022): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_new_string: assertion `string != NULL' failed
>> Results:
>> Fatal error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Type of message, `(s)', does not match expected type `(t)'
>
> Ahh, you need to make install before trying to run.

I did, but it seems there was some change to that particular method.
The others work, at least for the basic smoke testing that I did...

>> Thus my question: is it better to drop it, then to just let it rot ?
>
> Not a question for me. :)

Suppose it should be fixed, as long as it is in the default download.

>> In order for PackageKit to work, it needs to have a distribution
>> that allows the needed packages, configuration and repositories.
>> It doesn't matter if the backend "works", if there is no "support".
>> So might as well move the other backends to separate installations...
>
> Well, will smart work on any other distro to Fedora17?

Went missing from Fedora EPEL and Ubuntu Main, but I guess I could try
it with Debian or something - as long as PackageKit installs that is.

--anders