[packagekit] slapt backend

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:53:32 PDT 2013

Your error is about DBus not being able to run packagekit, check the
files installed in /usr/shar/dbus...
and if the packagekit file installed there has the right (full) path
to the packagekitd executable.

about moving to 0.8 should be quite easy, if you have questions paste here or
reach us on #packagekit at freenode :)

Best,

2013/4/22 Eugen Wissner <belka.ew at gmail.com>:
> under "another Gnome distribution" I meant just another Gnome Build, so yes,
> it is just a set of Slackware packages providing gnome desktop and replacing
> some Slackware original packages if needed.
>
> PackageKit 0.7 compiles on Slackware 14.0 but I get a dbus errors in
> gnome-packagekit like:
>
> Exiting as properties could not be retrieved: Error calling
> StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PackageKit: Timeout was reached
> Exiting as backend details could not be retrieved: Error calling
> StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PackageKit:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Activation of
> org.freedesktop.PackageKit timed out
>
> Anders, if you won't support this backend and don't have anything against
> it, I can take over the maintains of the slapt backend? But at first I'll
> try to get it working and send a patch if needed in order to see whether I'm
> able to work with it further.
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Eugene
>

> 2013/4/21 Anders F Björklund <afb at users.sourceforge.net>
>>
>> Eugen Wissner wrote:
>>
>> > Dropline is just another Gnome distribution, we have our own build
>> > system, ship other packages, e.g. PAM support. Gnome SlackBuild is quite
>> > dead in the last time.
>>
>> I don't know what a Gnome distribution is, I thought you were doing
>> packages for the Slackware distribution. Anyway, if it works with slapt-get
>> then it should be just fine.
>>
>> > If nobody is taking care of slapt backend I could do it, I would look in
>> > the code at first myself and update it for the newest slapt-get and
>> > packagekit or ask one more I won't understand something. Can I just submit a
>> > patch in this ML when something works as expected?
>>
>> You could start with the "stable" PackageKit 0.7.x, as that was at least
>> working once upon a time... Patches are OK, but if you want to maintain it
>> you should get push access.
>>
>> --anders

Daniel Nicoletti

KDE Developer - http://dantti.wordpress.com