[packagekit] package reinstallation

Daniel Nicoletti dantti12 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 09:34:40 PDT 2014

IMO we don't need an API to downgrade,
just calling install() with an older version should
be enough for the backend that can do that notice
that the user wants an older version.

For reinstalls I have alread asked for it, and I got
many users asking for that, and there are interesting
use-cases, like removing NetworkManager and
installing it again (in two steps) will fail because
you then get's out of internet.

Best,

> On 7 July 2014 16:21, Michal Minář <miminar at redhat.com> wrote:
>> The thing is that our previous implementation used yum as a backend.
>> We've covered most of its functionality and *reinstall* is one of its
>> commands. Now we'd like to have PackageKit-based implementation
>> supporting all the features of the former one.
>
> But why? What problem are you expecting re-install to fix?
>
>> I see it as a problem of backend to solve the dependencies and security
>> gotchas.
>
> There's a significant amount of policy required on how to handle
> downgrading. It's further complicated as distros like fedora only
> carry the latest version of a package on the mirrors, so you have to
> go hunting for an old mirror which is further complexity, and also a
> security risk as the mirrors have to be treated as untrusted.
>
>> You are right. This is a fairly common use case though.
>
> It is? What actual uses cases can you identify? I couldn't see many
> requirements from those bugzillas you linked, but only looked quickly.
> Thanks.
>
> Richard.

Daniel Nicoletti

KDE Developer - http://dantti.wordpress.com